Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Cthulhu and what we are (probably) eating this week

I've been making an effort to use up everything, and it's working well. Last night around 11.30 the cavernous emptiness of the fridge finally got to me and I did the fastest-ever online shop with Tesco, as it had to be checked out by a minute past midnight if I wanted it this morning. 

Planning our meals has never been my strong point, but in the interests of being more organised and also simplifying things, I've made a loose list of movable feasts for the next few days. I probably won't stick to it. 

Veggieballs with Ikea-style cream sauce, baby new potatoes, french beans, cranberry sauce.

Roast dinner. Meat for Philip, parsnips, cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, stuffing, whatever other veggies are going bendy in the fridge by then. I might have to go and buy some ready made Yorkshire puddings, as mine never come out fit for purpose. 

The elderly vegetable lasagne in the freezer.

Jacket potatoes with something.

Egg and chips, because I haven't had that for ages. A good excuse to try the organic tomato ketchup that we bought from the farm last weekend. 

For Philip's packed lunches and for mine at home, there is an assortment of things. Oatcakes, cheese, Marmite, olives, sandwich meats for P, cucumber, gorgeous tomatoes from the farm, stuffed pasta, the ingredients for curry buns. I'm sure that will keep us going for a bit. 

I also bought the bits to make mousse. The recipe doesn't seem to be where I left it (in my brain), but I'm sure it was jelly crystals, bit of water, yoghurt and quark. I guess it will still taste nice, even if it doesn't set! I shall report back in due course. 


I ordered 'perfectly imperfect' parsnips from Tesco as they were much cheaper. Is it just me, or do they look like Cthulhu? 

2 comments:

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!