Image from here
One of my aims this year is to simplify as much as possible. Since the Prof and I combined our two homes into my tiny one, there is far too much stuff around here. To be honest, there was far too much stuff before he moved in. I probably have five times more stuff than he does. I also want to simplify food - menu planning, easy and quick meals, routines for grocery shopping. We also need routines for household chores. Our current system, or lack of one, doesn't really work. It involves me doing as much as I can as my health permits, which often isn't very much, The Prof does what he can in between working, doing artwork and studying and then he, or both of us have a blitz occasionally when the Environmental Health are threatening to come round. I am only slightly joking.
Progress so far this year:
- We gave my brother a huge coffee table that we loved but was far too big in our living room and always ended up covered in papers and stuff anyway
- Sorted out some books that can go (this is always an ongoing project).
- Simplified the front of the fridge! Fridge magnets be gone! (well, some of them...)
- Decluttered bathrooms - all products we won't use gone, and everything else organised
- My email accounts are completely decluttered and organised. I have unsubscribed from some newsletters and will be doing so from others. If yours is one of them, please don't be insulted! I just can't cope with all the reading right now, especially with the wedding fast approaching.
- I made a menu plan for this week. It started today and I have already changed my mind about dinner. Not my fault, the chicken didn't defrost in time! A list of meals that can be shifted to whichever day is convenient is probably best for us. I am experimenting with it anyway.
The plan is that by the end of the year the house, garden, shed and loft will be decluttered and organised and various aspects of our life generally will be much simpler. Can't wait!