Sunday, August 19, 2018

seeing things in a new way....

Nadia Sawalha has been defaced, but the recipes survived the pen

....a blurred round the edges kind of way. I picked up my first pair of varifocal glasses yesterday. Ostensibly to test them, we walked around a few charity shops, and here is my haul. Not bad for £2.50. The children's books are for my niece. I've not been in the charity shops in this particular area for years and I was surprised how low the prices are. In one shop all books and DVDs were three for a pound. We are more used to the Oxfam bookshop in Wanstead, where books can be a couple of pounds or so each, still a bargain. This is a poorer area, perhaps that's why. 

I'm not sure about the varifocals. My optician has a policy whereby I have 3 months to decide if I like them, then can change to single vision glasses or have a refund. There are just a few times when the varifocals would be really useful to me - mostly crafting related. I'm not sure the fuzzy-around-the-edges-all-day effect on my distance vision is going to be worth it, just to improve vision for my odd bit of crafting here and there. Still, I have 2 months and thirty days left to decide. I do love the new frames though.  

We had dinner later on with the Young Philosopher, who since I started this blog eight years ago went on to abandon philosophy in favour of anthropology and is now working in a bank. Maybe he should have a new nickname? I think I'll call him Joe, as that's his name. Joe and Sarah cooked a lovely roast dinner for us (no meat for me, of course) and afterwards we played Cards Against Humanity, which is aptly subtitled 'The party game for horrible people'. We had to remove some of the cards that were in too bad taste even for us! but we had fun.  


Today we're planning a quiet day. A trip to the Growing Community site to pick up some veg as usual. If it doesn't rain, I might do some washing. I'd like to work on my cross stitch project. It's all go around here. 

2 comments:

  1. I have progressive lenses (three fields of vision and no lines). It took 2 weeks go get used to using them especially reading. Now I cannot imagine living without them!! I hope you adjust quickly and can decide sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The field for distance vision just seems to be so small! I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet.

      Delete

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!