Wednesday, January 05, 2011

The Yoga Begins....



I am taking part in Marianne Elliot's 30 Days of Yoga. I was a bit late to the party, as I should have started yesterday. Yesterday was not a good day, so I did my first session today.

I enjoyed it, though it was a bit uncomfortable at times. I am pretty unfit: all I used to do a lot of was walking, and with my CFS and being off work for the past year I don't even do much of that anymore. Sitting on the floor cross legged was uncomfortable for a start, though improved by sitting on a couple of cushions. I enjoyed the breathing exercises, and felt centred and calm. I was fine with cat pose and cow pose, though in child pose it was difficult to get my forehead on the floor properly. Added to all that it hard to breathe at the same time! I am sure I will get the hang of it.
Savasana - now THAT is my kind of pose. I could do that one all day. My feet got freezing cold though! Socks tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I found your blog via Twitter and Marianne + I love it.

    I'm a UK yoga teacher who has had CFS/Fibro since I was 16 + teach many students with similar conditions. Once you get the hang of yoga I promise you it will help you no end!

    Good luck with it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    Good on you for getting started! Know that there is no requirement to force your forehead to the ground in child's pose - it may or may not comfortably reach depending on the openness of your hips and lower back. Just allow yourself to rest wherever you can reach comfortably, breath deeply and trust that everything is slowly releasing as you breath.

    Namaste,

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rachel - I am concerned about how much less active I am now, with the CFS, so really hoping I will be able to manage yoga and it will help.

    Hi Marianne - I hope it may get easier as I go along, I am not very flexible at the moment but hope to become more so. I am really enjoying doing my sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie
    I came across your blog via 30 days of yoga and have really enjoyed it. Is there any way to subscribe to your blog?

    As for the 30 days, I love it. Talk about a course that gives you permission to ask for nothing from your body and accept tiny acorns as treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes for your 30-day journey. I really enjoyed mine. Your body will let you know what it's ready for each day. And, yes, savasana is my favorite, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, I have added an email subscription box on the sidebar. I hope it works for you, if not do let me know. Thanks for your interest! :-)

    Hi Wendee! Nice to see you here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. savasana. ahhhh. just thinking about it.

    i always find it amazing how much your body cools down once you stop and rest.

    i've been doing yoga on and off for about ten years now and i found first having a real person teacher show me how to get into each pose helped even just for one session. the second thing, i agree is letting yourself move into it where comfortable. the third thing is you will find what moves work for you. i have a series i do on a regular basis that just make me feel great and i also have a series i do when my back acts up and they really help.

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!