Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Impatience


This purple yarn is waiting patiently for me to start knitting a poncho. I am waiting less patiently to start it! Several people in my craft group have knitted this pattern, and I finally succumbed after trying one on last week.  I am using James C Brett Marble Chunky. It is gorgeously soft, and only cost me about £20 for 4 200g balls, which will be more than enough to knit the poncho. It is knitted on large needles, in squares that are then sewn together. 

The baby blanket is still progressing. I knit a little each evening, and have taken to taking it out with me in case there is an opportunity to knit a few rows. One thing I often do with my knitting, is attach a small safety pin at the start of a session, as I like to see how much I have done on that occasion. Is that weird? I'm looking forward to starting the lace border, as it grows so quickly and is more fun to knit. The baby is due in March, so I have plenty of time, but I'd rather have it done. I made the mistake last time of putting one aside and starting something else, and then before I knew it the baby arrived and I was knitting like the clappers for a week.

I have given up on While I'm Falling and started Still Missing, by Beth Gutcheon,  a Persephone book. It's about a six year old boy who goes missing, and is gripping me so far, though I really won't like it if it doesn't have a happy ending, and I am beginning to worry that it might not. 

Joining Ginny's Yarn Along 

8 comments:

  1. London- a place I'd like to see again. Thanks for sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the yarn! I finished a blanket a few months ago and have started a new one with colorblocking, but I sort of liked the simple cabled one better. Now I am searching for a place to put another one if I knit it, or a friend who needs one for their couch! What a great idea to put a safety pin in to mark how much you have done in a session! I used to try to judge it just by how much yarn I'd used, but that is not as easy to see. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, its a great idea to mark your progress. I think I'll do that the next time I'm working on a blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not weird at all, I try to keep track of where I started on one day so I can be super happy!! I hope the poncho knitting gets much love and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. as always i am in awe of your knitting....i love that you can pick it up do a little and then pick it up again. perfect.

    i gave up on my book too and i rarely do that, but it was sooo depressing and i wasn't enjoying it. i started contents may have shifted by pam houston but now i'm not enjoying it either, must be in a picky mood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That purple yarn looks so nice and soft - it will be a lovely poncho! :)

    Let me know how you get on with looking into the afghan project :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the safety pin idea: it's not stupid at all. On the contrary, I think it's a good thing to realize your progress in projects. That's exactly the reason why I love to write Morning Pages (although I haven't written them for a long while): as they make me realize how my life is constantly changing and that I am on the mend. Even if it's a process of ups and downs, it's a good thing to know that things are evolving, slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS: I am with you. My house is filled with unfinished projects ... which isn't exactly motivating, but by taking little babysteps, I try to finish them now ... :) Life is all about learning and allowing ourselves to make 'mistakes'.

    ReplyDelete

please leave a comment or just say hello, I'd love to hear from you!